- For the hardcover omnibus see: Annals of the Black Company
The Annals are the written history of the Black Company. They are recorded by the Company Annalist, a position considered so important that it carries an officer rank. Croaker once described them as the "soul of the Black Company."
Some individual books of the Annals are named after their Annalist, such as the Books of Croaker, Lady, and Murgen. Others take their name from unknown sources, such as the "Book of Set", which was recorded by Annalist Coral; and the "Book of Kette", which recorded by the Annalists Lees, Agrip, Holm, and Straw.
The annals were also fragmentary and incomplete due to several defeats in battle where records were abandoned or lost. Examples of this include the Battle of Urban and Battle of Queen's Bridge, although in the latter case they were recovered by the Lady and later returned to Croaker.
The known volumes of the Annals are:
The First Annals Edit
- Book of the Company
- First Book of Odrick
- Second Book of Odrick
- Book of Kette
- Written early in the Company's second century. Recorded by the Annalists Lees, Agrip, Holm, and Straw. One section describes the time when the Company was in service to the Paingod of Cho'n Delor. During Annalist Straw's time, the Company numbered more than 6,000 strong and consisted entirely (or mostly) of black men.
- in Bleak Seasons, One-Eye confirmed that "Kette" was not the name of an Annalist. But before he could explain who Kette was, he was interrupted by Murgen. It is possible that Kette was either the Captain of the Black Company or their employer at the time.
- Book of Te-Lare
- Describes a fateful battle when the Company was overrun and the early Annals were stolen. The Annalist and his understudy were both killed so the work could not be reconstructed. Lost but later recovered at the Temple of Travellers' Repose.
These Annals are of unknown order
- Book of Woeg
- Describes the time when the Company was almost destroyed at the Battle of Bake, in Norssele.
- Book of Skete
- Lost and forgotten but later rediscovered at the Temple of Travellers' Repose.
- Book of Set
- Recorded by Annalist Coral. Describes the time when the Company was in service to the Archon of Bone, during the Revolt of the Chiliarchs.
- Book of Cloete
- Describes the time when the Company was in service to Syndarchs of Dai Khomena.
- Book of Choe
- 6 other unspecified books
- All rediscovered at the Temple of Travellers' Repose.
The Books of the North Edit
- First Book of Croaker
The Books of the South Edit
- Book of Lady
- Book of Murgen
- One-Eye's Notes (integrated into the Book of Murgen)
- One-Eye kept a number of poorly maintained notes of his travels in the south, though they were fragmentary, and made little reference to the major events going on at the time. Primarily they describe One-Eye's drunken exploits through Taglios with a number of Company members. This includes the robbery of a minor noble's gin reserves after he offers them hospitality, and as a result Prahbrindrah Drah is required to repay the lord for the damages. One-Eye eventually gives the haggard papers to Murgen upon request, and they are integrated into his own book with amendments.
- Book of Sleepy
- Second Book of Croaker
- Book of Arkana and Shukrat